I am not sure how did you get here, but welcome nevertheless. This blog is about trying to make good use of free time. Otium for people who had too much negotium in their life until suddenly they find themselves with a lot of free time in their hands, but blessed with all this luxury they feel slightly lost.
Hmm. Actually this blog is more about recording my experience so that one day looking back I’ll tell to myself: “What on Earth was I thinking?!?”
About me: list of likes
- Food cooked come Dio comanda
- Swimming, especially in open waters (though I’m a cold water wuss)
- Making things from scratch
- BBC Radio 4 and pointless discussions
- Christmas and Carnival
- Riding my bicycle fast
- Technology: programming, gadgets
- The sound of a clarinet
- Chocolate and cheese. Ice cream.
- Making life simple and demystifying
About me: list of dislikes
- Pret-a-manger (and everything that it represents: chains, bullshit marketing, destruction of small shops, concentration and standardisation of food and taste)
- Being told what to do and like.
- Cauliflower and sweet beetroot. Vinegar and mayonnaise.
- Cliques and close mindedness of any kind (including my very own)
About this blog
I am trying to be organised! My posts will be divided by categories, and each category has a page that contains all the links to the corresponding posts and a bit of extra commentary, but not too much.
On frugality and consumerism…
“Sembra che famo a gara a chi magna de più, ci bombardano di pubblicità televisiva, che io la vieterei, e tutti a consuma’, vedi ’ste trattorie piene di culoni che magnano…Ma che te magni? Io magno un supplì e me basta. No, dice, siccome tu sei ricco di supplì ne magni dieci. Ah, sì? Allora guarda, io so’ ricco davero, ma non è che quando entro in trattoria, siccome c’ho i soldi, magno tutto quello che c’è. Vedi ‘sto goccetto de vino? Mi basta per essere felice. E invece no, dice, siccome sei ricco te bevi tutta ’a botte. Anzi no, te compri la vigna” (Alberto Sordi)
…with a brilliant Google translation:
“It seems that famo competing to see who magna de more, bombard us on television advertising, which I would prohibit, and all consumers ‘see’ these restaurants full of culoni locksmith that … But you magni? I croquettes and a magnum enough for me. No, he says, because you’re full of it supplì magni ten. Ah, yes? So look, I know ‘rich davero, but is not that when I enter a restaurant, because I’ve got the money, Magna everything you need. See ‘I’m nip of wine? Enough for me to be happy. But no, he says, because you’re rich you drink all ‘barrel. No, you buy the vineyard “